Are you eligible for SA-HELP?

Check on the Australian Government’s Study Assist website.

If you’re an Australian Permanent Resident non-Humanitarian Visa holder and/or New Zealand Citizen, go to the Non-Australian citizens page on the Australian Government website. 

Before you apply

How to apply

Step 1. Let us know if you intend to apply for SA-HELP

You’ll be prompted to indicate if you intend to access a SA-HELP loan when you enrol in Enrolment Online. Refer to the SA-HELP opt-in email sent to your RMIT email address for more information.

Step 2: Log in to the government portal

The Department of Education and Training will email you with instructions about how to log in to the portal.

Step 3. Enter your Tax File Number

Enter your TFN or Certificate of application for a TFN.

Can’t validate your TFN?

If you get an email advising of problems with your Tax File Number, follow these instructions.

Step 4: Submit your application via the government's eCAF portal

Submit your application in the eCAF portal before your first census date.

Remember to pay your tuition fees and other charges. 

SA-HELP only covers your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). You still need to pay your tuition fees and any other charges. Also, if you’ve taken out FEE-HELP or HECS-HELP, these loans don't cover your SSAF: you need to apply for SA-HELP to cover SSAF.


How do I know if my SA-HELP application has been approved?

You can view the status of your SA-HELP loan in Enrolment Online:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online
  • Select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select Manage Commonwealth assistance and optional loans to view the status of your loan.

You’ll also be issued with a SA-HELP approval letter in Enrolment Online. To view and print your SA-HELP approval letter:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online.
  • Select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select View Commonwealth assistance approval letter.

Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice

RMIT will issue you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) within 28 days of each class census date.  A notification email will be sent to your RMIT student email account and your nominated personal email when your CAN is available.

The CAN will outline the HELP debt you've incurred and any upfront payments you've made towards your fees. If there are any discrepancies between your HELP debt and the amount you were expecting to pay, you have 14 days from the CAN issue date to submit a written request for a correction.

To view or print your Commonwealth Assistance Notice:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online and select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select View Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs).

Starting a new program?

If you change your program and/or enrol in a new program, you’ll need to re-apply for SA-HELP for your new program following the steps above.