Have your say!

Seeking students currently using VET Student Loans.

The Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business is looking for feedback about your experience with VET Student Loans (VSL). To check if  VSL is meeting your needs now, and continues to do so into the future, a research company (KPMG) is conducting an evaluation of the program. They are using short phone surveys (conducted by IPSOS) to explore topics like: what you chose to study, your future ambitions, and how your study experience has been. It will only take about 10 minutes and your participation will remain completely confidential and your individual responses anonymous.

If you're interested in participating, please click the following link to give your consent and provide your details to be contacted:  I CONSENT 

Don't lose your VET Student Loan! 

Complete your VET Student Loan progression forms

If you have an approved VET Student Loan you are required to complete a Student Progression and Engagement form via the government's eCAF portal in early February, June and October each year of your program/s.

The Department of Education will send you an email with instructions when you need to complete a form.

You have 2 weeks to complete yeach form before it expires. If you fail to complete 2 consecutive forms your VET Student Loan will be cancelled and you will be required to pay your tuition in full to RMIT.

Your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

A Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) is an official statement from RMIT outlining the HELP loan, VET Student Loan or student contribution payment option you've chosen, as well as any HELP loan and VET Student Loan assistance you've received. A CAN is issued 28 days after each census date.

How to access your CAN

To view or print your CAN:

  • Log in to Enrolment Online and select My student record.
  • Under Financial details, select View Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs).

Correcting errors on your CAN

You have the right to request the correction of information contained in your CAN within 14 days of the date the notice was issued.

If you believe that the information on your CAN is incorrect you must submit a written request to RMIT Connect for the CAN to be corrected. RMIT is obliged to correct any 'university errors' and issue a new CAN to reflect the correct details.

Errors made by the student will not be corrected and, depending on the error, you may remain fee liable or incur academic penalties.

How to read your CAN:

Keep track of your loan limit

Important update about loan limits

The Federal Government is introducing changes to HELP Loan limits in 2020. These changes may impact your ability to continue to defer your tuition to a HELP Loan or VET Student Loan from 1 Jan 2020. Read more about the Combined HELP Loan Limit and Renewable HELP Loan Balance so you know how the changes will affect you.

VET Student Loan program loan limit

VET Student Loans have a limit on the amount of tuition you can defer for each eligible program. You can view the loan limit amount for your program, and the amount you have used at RMIT, for the invoice period, on the last page of your tax invoice.

If you have accessed a VET Student Loan for the same program at another institution, this will still count towards your program loan limit. You are required to notify RMIT if you have used part of your program loan limit at another institution (refer to your CAN from that institution).

If part or all of your tuition exceeds your remaining program loan limit, you will be required to pay this amount to RMIT by the due date.

VET Student loans also contribute to your FEE-HELP lifetime loan limit.

FEE-HELP lifetime loan limit

The FEE‑HELP lifetime loan limit is the total amount available to eligible students under the FEE‑HELP, VET Student Loans and VET FEE‑HELP loan schemes. This means that any amount you borrow under FEE‑HELP, VET Student Loans or VET FEE‑HELP will reduce your FEE‑HELP balance until you have reached the FEE‑HELP limit. This is a lifetime limit and is not reset or ‘topped up’ by any repayments that you make.

It is your responsibility to keep track of your FEE-HELP limit. If you reach your FEE-HELP limit, all future tuition fees must be paid to RMIT by the due date. 

How to check your FEE-HELP balance and loan limit

  • Visit Study Assist and select the myUniAssist icon.
  • Log in using your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN).
  • Refer to your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN), available via myRMIT for information about the relevant study period and your CHESSN.
  • Match the unit codes in myUniAssist against the information in your Commonwealth Assistance Notice.

Please note: As there is a time lag between the census date and when your information on myUniAssist is updated, you will need to add any units you have recently enrolled/are currently enrolled in, to the amounts showing on myUniAssist, if they are not already there.

Remission of debt

If, because of special circumstances, you need to withdraw from your program/course after the census date then you may apply to have your HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP of VET Student Loan debt remitted (removed).

For more information, including a definition of special circumstances and when your application must be submitted, please download the Application for remission (removal) of debt in special circumstances form.

More information

For more information about HELP loans or VET Student Loans, including eligibility requirements, visit Study Assist.

If you have a query about your eCAF, CAN, or VET Student Loan progression form, contact RMIT Connect.