Matt Duckham is Professor in geographic information science and Deputy Head (Geospatial Sciences) in the School of Mathematical and Geospatial Sciences.
Professor Duckham’s research is in the area of geographic information science (GI science). His expertise is in distributed and robust computing with uncertain spatial and spatiotemporal information, particularly in the context of mobile, location-aware, and sensor-enabled systems.
Professor Duckham has written and edited several books, including the well-known GIS textbook “GIS: A Computing Perspective”, coauthored with Mike Worboys. He has been invited to speak at conferences around the world, including giving the Waldo Tobler Distinguished Lecture in GIScience at AAG 2014. Professor Duckham has led several major ARC-funded Discovery and Linkage research projects. He is a founding editor of the open-access Journal of Spatial Information Science, and an editorial board member of Transactions in GIS, International Journal of Geographical Information Science, ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Computers, Environment, and Urban Systems, and the Journal of Location-Based Services. He was a Program Chair of the GIScience international conference in Vienna in 2014, and of COSIT (Conference on Spatial Information Theory) 2007 in Melbourne.
Professor Duckham is also a Visiting Professor at Greenwich University, UK. Before moving to RMIT University in 2015, he was Professor of Geographic Information Science at the University of Melbourne, Australia. From 2010-2014 Professor Duckham was an ARC Future Fellow working in the area of ambient spatial intelligence and geosensor networks. Prior to coming to Australia in 2004 he was a postdoctoral researcher at the NCGIA (National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis) at the University of Maine, USA.
- PhD (Glasgow)
- MSc (Leicester)
- BSc (Hons) (Edin)
- Visiting Professor (University of Greenwich, UK)
- SSSI (Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute) Member and Victorian Committee Member (2013-2015)
- ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Member
- Clark, K.,Duckham, M., et al., .,Guillemin, M.,Hunter, A.,McVernon, J.,O�Keefe, .,Pitkin, C.,Prawer, S.,Sinnott, R.,Warr, D.,Waycott, J. (2019). Advancing the ethical use of digital data in human research: challenges and strategies to promote ethical practice In: Ethics and Information Technology, 21, 59 - 73
- Tao, Y.,Both, A.,Duckham, M. (2018). Analytics of movement through checkpoints In: International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 32, 1282 - 1303
- Both, A.,Duckham, M.,Worboys, M. (2018). Identifying surrounds and engulfs relations in mobile and coordinate-free geosensor networks In: ACM Transactions on Spatial Algorithms and Systems, 4, 1 - 21
- Woodgate, P.,Coppa, I.,Choy, S.,Phinn, S.,Arnold, L.,Duckham, M. (2017). The Australian approach to geospatial capabilities; positioning, earth observation, infrastructure and analytics: issues, trends and perspectives In: Geo-Spatial Information Science, 20, 109 - 125
- Zhong, X.,Duckham, M. (2017). An efficient incremental algorithm for generating the characteristic shape of a dynamic set of points in the plane In: International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 31, 569 - 590
- Liu, H.,Blech, J.,Duckham, M.,Schmidt, H. (2017). Spatio-Temporal Aware Testing for Complex Systems In: IEEE International Conference on Software Quality, Reliability and Security Companion, QRS-C 2017, Prague, Czech Republic, 25-29 July 2017
- Cheong, L.,Bleisch, S.,Kealy, A.,Tolhurst, K.,Wilkening, T.,Duckham, M. (2016). Evaluating the impact of visualization of wildfire hazard upon decision-making under uncertainty In: International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 30, 1377 - 1404
- Zhong, P.,Duckham, M.,Chong, D.,Tolhurst, K. (2016). Real-time estimation of wildfire perimeters from curated crowdsourcing In: Scientific Reports, 6, 1 - 10
- Zhong, P.,Kealy, A.,Duckham, M. (2016). Stream Kriging: Incremental and recursive ordinary Kriging over spatiotemporal data streams In: Computers and Geosciences, 90, 134 - 143
- Long, Z.,Duckham, M.,Li, S.,Schockaert, S. (2016). Indexing large geographic datasets with compact qualitative representation In: International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 30, 1072 - 1094
1 PhD Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions
- Improving equity of Hepatitis B treatment access and outcomes by informing spatial targeting of resources (Project 4.410). Funded by: CRC for Spatial Information CAT4 from (2016 to 2018)